E.S. Fox Limited was the Primary Contractor for Vale’s Challenging Ore Recovery (CORe) project. The CORe project is an integration project within the Clarabelle Mill in Sudbury, Ontario, Canada.
The new flotation circuit will improve nickel recovery from the existing ore while improving operations and enabling better control of concentrate grades to the smelter. When the new facility is complete Vale will achieve a 4% increase in extraction of metals such as nickel, copper and palladium from its flotation systems. The ore will be shipped to the nearby Copper Cliff site for smelting.
E.S. Fox Limited’s role included the construction of a new 38,000-square-foot flotation building as well as the installation and integration of the 100-cubic-metre flotation cells, flotation columns, blowers, compressors and slurry pumps. The CORe project was fast-tracked at the request of the client in order to accelerate the end date by approximately 1 year. The construction strategy was built around tying in to the existing plant during the 2012 planned maintenance shutdowns. Construction for E.S. Fox Limited began in earnest in February, 2012 and was substantially completed by the end of September.
The project had progressed quickly with no interruptions to the Clarabelle Mill’s operations. In fact, the entire schedule has been planned so that the mill could continue operating at full production around the clock during all construction and commissioning activities. This objective demanded exceptional coordination efficiencies, especially considering that, at its peak, the on-site team included nearly 400 contract trades.
The scope of work included:
- Completion of building floating slabs and floor slab elevations, pump and tank bases
- Structural Steel for engineered supports, all stairs and platforms
- Full HVAC and controls including Air Conditioning, MUA’s and heaters All Mechanical installations including the (20) 100m3 flotation cells, pumps, tanks, PO Columns, blowers and motors.
All primary and service piping (approximately 45,000 feet) including:
- Blower Air
- Plant Air
- HDPE Drains, Launderer and sample piping
- Slurry piping
- Reagents including Sulphuric Acid, Lime, NaS, Xanthate and Frother
- Instrument Air
- Natural Gas
- Process and Gland Water systems
- Clean and Potable Water including Safety Showers
- Fire Suppression System Compressed air and Hydrostatic testing of piping & components to TSSA Pre-Operational Support and Turnover for start-up & commissioning